30:25 minutes (short but progressive)
Secondary Speedy Strides
Back when I was a little butthead, my mother was
nice crazy insane enough to to volunteer as a girl scout leader for my troop. I can’t imagine wrangling the hormones of 12ish prepubescent, drama inducing 9 year-old girls.
One day out of frustration she and the other leader stood up, told everyone to be quiet and bend their backs forward and back and said, “We’re not going to complain because we’re (taking it up 3 octaves) FLEXIBLE!”
Given my nagging li’l injury and the recovery instructions I was given, I’ve been delaying the inevitable – unleashing my inner Goal Gumby to readjust my goals so I’m not driving myself to get hurt. I’ve feel like I’ve been wandering aimlessly with my fitness just piecing things together and it sure ain’t working for this Striding Mom.
I’ve opted to take a fiscal year goal approach. So from July 2012 – June 2012 the following are my goals:
- Half a Month: Starting in September I’m going to run a half marathon a month. I’m just now able to start building on my 10 MPW mileage and by September should be able to give one a slow, steady go. My goal is to mix it up – try some small local races, big ones, road, trail, etc. I mapped it out yesterday morning and made my dream list of races, my quasi-dream list, and the budget appropriate ones. I’ll share them soon!
- Tri It Out: Capitalize on the swimming & biking I’ve been doing to rehab my groin by doing a Tri. Up on deck: iTryathlon in Irvine on 7/2.
- 2 Minutes of Torture: (2 minute plank) I suck at making ab work a priority, but I know it’s critical to my athletic performance so my goal is to shape up from my current 45 second plank (and that’s struggling…how sad) to 2 minutes.
- 1:37 Half: This will take some time to work up to. With my injury and the 4 month hiatus from speed work when all is said and done, I’m guessing this will be a late spring 2013 feat.
- Sub-20 5k: I’m so close on this one and I know I can do it once I get to start doing speed work again. It was my pipe dream goal last year and I missed it by 32 seconds. Watch out 19, I’m onto you.
So there you have it. My FY 2012-2013 goals. Not uber ambitious, but just ambitious enough. Between work, volunteering, the boys’ schedules, etc. I know that there are things I’d love to force my body to do, but I’ve got to be realistic.I also know that there’s a chance Boston will be in there (depending on how low they go with qualifying times) so I want to make sure I allow time to ENJOY that experience.