So after the last crazy few weeks of work, I realized I needed to get away, unplug, recharge, whatever you want to call it for a few hours before I blew my top yesterday. I wasn’t quite sure how to do this, but I knew I’d figure out a way.
Here’s the thing – if you were to ask anyone in the entire world who knows me to use my name and the word spontaneous in the same sentence…well…
Basically you’d not get a response because they would be laying on the floor laughing too hard to respond.
So this spontaneous plan was a big stretch.
I got a call from my fabulous cousin (yes I’m talking to you) asking if I wanted to meet up at a festival. So I spontaneously pulled over in said city and decided to park my car and run 10 miles to the festival (I’d cab it back with them later).
A few things.
A- I am NOT familiar with the ins and outs of this city.
B- Who wants to walk around with me for hours after a 10+ miler in the hot So Cal sun?
C- I was desperate – who cared?
So here’s the low down on my urban run:
- I got lost. Like SERIOUSLY lost. Ended up in the worst part of town watching multiple drug deals kind of lost. Yes, I saw 3 of them.
- I found an awesome cheering squad from as surprising population – the homeless. Lots of cheers, high 5’s and maybe some comments I couldn’t quite (or didn’t want to) understand.
- I am trying to start a fashion trend by wearing compression sleeves to street festivals. Surprisingly it didn’t catch on.
- Running is usually my stress release, but even after 10+ miles it was all balled up.
- After last week’s hydration mistake, I wasn’t going to let that happen again so I was sure to double hydrate: Orange Nuun & Shocktop (to keep with the citrus theme). They actually paired surprisingly well.
After a few hours of run, sun & fun I made my way home to finish up some reports I had waiting. It was a much needed break…and quite the adventure.
My question to you is what post-run beers pair well with which Nuun flavors?
I’m thinking a taste test might be in order! Any takers?